At a time when venture funding in female-only founded startups has remained at only 3% of all venture dollars since 2012 – we are thrilled to announce that Girls in Tech is seeing the evidence of an uptick in women founders at startups around the world! For the record, that number increases to only 7% for male and female-founded teams (Techcrunch, 2017).
Enter AMPLIFY, the Girls in Tech startup competition for women founders. Now in the seventh year, the competition has helped to provide funding, exposure on a global stage, and a community of investors and changemakers committed to supporting women entrepreneurs.
AMPLIFY occurs at Girls in Tech chapters around the world throughout the year and invites early-stage startups with at least one woman founder to compete for seed funding. The panel of judges includes investors, entrepreneurs, and tech industry veterans.
In between pitches, audience members get to network with high tech industry veterans, VCs, serial entrepreneurs, first-time startup founders, marketers, and product developers. AMPLIFY also features keynotes from seasoned entrepreneurs giving real-life advice on how to navigate the startup waters when there is no playbook. Finally, the winner is awarded her seed funding with an oversized check and celebrated with all the finalists at a networking cocktail party!
Below is the eligibility to apply for AMPLIFY.
- Must have a developed technology (software, hardware, mobile product or service)
- Must have at least one female founder
- Must have an actual product to demo live
- Startup must be between 6 and 36 months old
- The finals competition will be a fast-pitch format – 7 minutes of fast-pitch with 3 minutes of Q&A with judges. Finalists are not permitted to view other finalists’ presentations; only props or displays permitted during the fast-pitch, live demos only.
- Girls in Tech Board of Directors and Girls in Tech full-time employees, and their relatives, are not eligible to participate.
- Applicants will be judged based upon criteria established by Girls in Tech, Inc.
- Prize money is taxable. – The winner will be responsible for all applicable taxes on the prize awarded. The winner will be required to complete the appropriate tax forms and present legal ID prior to claiming the prize. The winner will be sent a 1099 MISC federal tax form as required. Any portion of the prize kept by the winner will be taxable.
- Protests due to eligibility or any other rules must be presented via email, Adriana Gascoigne, Girls in Tech, Inc., [email protected]. Any such protest must be submitted by one month in advance of the competition date.
- The ruling of the judges at the competition is final.
- This contest and related content is the property of Girls in Tech, Inc., and use by anyone outside this organization is not permitted unless expressly communicated and agreed upon in writing by both parties.
- Application submission deadline – May 10, 2019
- Online judging completed – May 26, 2019
- 3 Finalists approached/announced – May 28, 2019
- Live pitch event – June 20, 2019
Compared to 2017, we saw the number of women-led startups who applied jump 33%. We saw the number of countries represented in the application pool jump by 9% including more startups from Asia and the Middle East.
Check out the 2018 AMPLIFY Impact Report!